Monday, May 07, 2007

May 7, 2007 - Glad I Didn't Miss It

Every once in a while there comes one of those moments that makes a parent’s heart fairly burst with pride. Yesterday afternoon, our son, Benjamin, had his senior recital at Monmouth University, where he’s a music major (soon to graduate). His instrument is guitar, and he also sings.

This e-mail he shared with me – from Monmouth University music professor David Trippoldt to Department of Music and Theater Arts chair, John Burke - says it all...


Dear Jack,

This is only the second recital that I've attended at MU that I had wished that we had a designation of credit with honors. Ben Wilton has set the standard for what a "popular" music venue recital can be. He beautifully navigated a recital of many musical genres commencing with two classical guitar pieces, then four acoustic folk and pop classics, playing and singing such beloved tunes as Norwegian Wood, by John Lennon and "Blowin' in the Wind," by Bob Dylan, then to electric lead in a jazz trio, playing such classic tunes as "Four" by Miles Davis, "Equinox" by John Coltrane, and "Take Five," by Paul Desmond. Finally, he performed two original songs with his rock band named "Garuda." The group played very, very well, the drummer our very own Anthony Leprotto, offering up fine guitar solo work in a quasi latin/rock mixture. The concert consisted of 15 pieces in all, each performed with great style and with careful attention to stylistic accuracy, ensemble balance and blend. Ben sang well and played the guitar exceedingly well, improvising most effectively in the jazz pieces. The very satisfied audience of 75-90 included Professor Rotella and Laura Dubois. This comes on the heels of Ben's super performance as bass soloist in the Haydn mass a couple of weeks ago. This is what a popular musician should be - musically literate, historically grounded, and artistically sensitive.

Bravo Ben!

Dave T.


I’ve heard people with cancer say things like, “I want to be around to see my child graduate from college... get married... (whatever).” I’m just glad I’m in remission, and that I had this opportunity to hear this fantastic concert. Truly, it's a day I’ll always remember.

Enough said.

Ben, we love you, and we’re very proud of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful description of Benjamin's music. I wish I had been there too!
SM Wilton